Thursday, August 21, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Candles Blamed in Fire that Claimed Life of Brooklyn Woman

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Candles Blamed in Fire that Claimed Life of Brooklyn Woman
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Fire investigators say a fire that killed a 75-year-old woman and injured another woman early Friday morning in East New York was accidentally caused by lit candles. NY1's Mahsa Saeidi filed the following report.

Hours after a fire killed an elderly woman in East New York, crews worked through the evening clearing out her belongings, carefully sifting through dozens of bags.

Neighbors say 75-year-old Sylvia Travis lived in the home on Bradford Street for decades with her daughter, 54-year-old Angela.

Early Friday morning, residents nearby say they heard screams. 

"Help, help, my mother is in there, my mom is in there. Can you please help my mother?" said witness Lucilla Dixon.

It was a frantic Angela on the second floor. Neighbors say that by this time, a small group had gathered below her. 

"She said she's going to jump out, she's going to jump out," Dixon said. 

Angela was saved, as her neighbors helped to break her fall, but her mother was not reached in time. Firefighters say they found her unconscious with burns to her body. 
The medical examiner says she died of accidental smoke inhalation.

"It's hard for all of us because she's our neighbor," Dixon said.

"She's a very nice lady," said another neighbor. "She's my neighbor for 40-plus years. We worked together. We do everything together."

"We all grieving of her death because it's an unfortunate death," said a third person.

Officials say the tragedy was an accident, caused by lit candles on the first floor of the building.

Angela was taken to Brookdale Hospital, where she was treated for smoke inhalation. Neighbors say she was close to her mother. They say they'll be praying for her and her family to heal.

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 54.227.77.237 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP