Two of three students taken into custody in connection with last month's Boston Marathon bombing investigation waived bail Wednesday during an appearance in federal court, but authorities do not believe they took part in the attack.
The two men, identified as Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, are charged with with conspiring to obstruct justice.
Their next hearing is scheduled for May 14.
The criminal complaint says the two were originally from Kazakhstan and entered the country on student visas.
According to the criminal complaint, Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov were charged with conspiring to destroy, conceal and cover up Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's dorm room belongings, including a laptop computer and a backpack containing empty fireworks casings.
The backpack, according to the complaint, was recovered in a landfill in New Bedford.
The FBI says the friends texted Tsarnaev, saying he looked like the suspect, and that Tsarnaev texted back "lol" or laugh out loud. They say he later texted that he was leaving and if they needed something in his room, they should take it.
Authorities say Tsarnaev can be seen with the two newly arrested suspects and two other men in a 2012 photo taken in Times Square. Kadyrbayev is standing in the middle of the group, Tazhayakov is standing second from the left and Tsarnaev is standing second from the right.
The Associated Press reports that Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev have been held in a county jail for more than a week on allegations they violated their student visas while attending the University of Massachusetts/Dartmouth.
"As we've said from the very beginning, he assisted the FBI in this investigation," said Kadyrbayev's attorney, Robert Stahl. "He is just as shocked and horrified by the violence in Boston that took place as the rest of the community is. He did not know that this individual was involved in the bombing. His first inkling came much later. The government allegations, as far as that he saw a photo and recognized him immediately, we dispute, and we'll be looking forward to proving our case in court. Mr. Kadyrbayev and his family are very sorry for what happened here in Boston, and he did not have anything to do with it."
"My client, Azamat Tazhayakov, feels horrible and was shocked to hear that someone that he knew at the University of Massachusetts/Dartmouth was involved in the Boston Marathon bombing, just like many other individuals who were interviewed on campus," said Harlan Protass, Tazhayakov's attorney.
A third suspect, 19-year-old Robel Phillipos, is charged with willfully making materially false statements to federal law enforcement officials, according to the complaint.
Authorities allege that Phillipos saw the other two suspects remove the laptop and bag from Tsarnaev's room.
Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov each face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Phillipos faces up to eight years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
This comes as the House Homeland Security Committee is planning to hold a hearing about the attack on May 9.
Committee Chairman Michael McCaul says the hearing will examine the bombings and the implications for homeland security.
Family members of dead bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev say they will claim his body, now that his wife has agreed to release it.
Tsarnaev's body has been at the medical examiner's office in Massachusetts since he died after a shoot out with police.
The man who was carjacked by the bombers as they ran from authorities is speaking publicly for the first time.
In an interview with CBS News, he said he thought it was just a normal robbery until Tamerlan said he was behind the marathon bombings and bragged about killing a police officer.
The victim said the brothers were speaking in Russian, but he did recognize one word.
"It's Manhattan. It seemed like they were going to New York because they asked me a lot of questions," said the man.
President Barack Obama is defending the FBI's handling of the investigation, and said that a national security review will determine whether intelligence was missed.